CREATE Arts Center seeks a dynamic new Executive Director to oversee the management and administration of a mid-sized (and growing!) arts education and art therapy organization as it approaches its 40th anniversary. Conveniently located in downtown Silver Spring, CREATE’s mission is to spark creativity, foster learning, empower individuals and facilitate community connections through the visual arts. We fulfill our mission through our art education, art therapy, and community outreach programs.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for executing CREATE’s strategic vision, leading and managing staff and programs, leading fundraising efforts, and facilitating outreach with our community and nonprofit partners.
- Develop budgets and maintain sound financial practices to ensure the organization meets short and long-term financial goals, including revenue stability.
- Work with the treasurer to develop program and annual budgets for board approval, establish budget guidelines, and oversee annual audit.
- In conjunction with the treasurer, auditor, and bookkeeper, prepare and submit tax and other financial returns
- Work with bookkeeper on deposits, account reconciliations, and tax forms.
- Manage monthly finances and continually monitor budget/expenses/revenue and review all financial sourcing and reports
- Develop fiscal year budget reforecasts as needed for board approval
Administration and Operations
- Establish and oversee employment and administrative policies and procedures for all functions and for the day-to-day operation of the organization to fulfill CREATE’s mission
- Manage and evaluate risk management policies, personnel policies, utilization of technology systems, and compliance with all legal and regulatory requirements
- Work with CREATE staff to develop new and innovative arts programming to serve CREATE constituencies
- Establish goals for programming, including art education, art therapy, community partnerships, and all other new and existing programs
- Periodically evaluate programs to ensure effectiveness and consistency with mission
- Hire, evaluate, and oversee staff and contract personnel
- Provide opportunity for staff training and the expansion of roles and responsibilities as it benefits the organization and the professional development of the staff
- Oversee all aspects of strategic fundraising and donor engagement planning and execution
- Seek and apply for grants to support the organization and key programs
- Cultivate and maintain strong donor relationships
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with corporate and business sponsors
- Plan and execute annual fundraising event
- Provide reports to Board of Directors on fiscal condition of organization, and periodic reports on the overall operations and direction
- Provide board with templates and guidance on fundraising
- Provide guidance and recommendations for board votes
- Attend board and specific committee meetings
- 3-5 years of experience managing a nonprofit organization, or other relevant management experience
- Bachelor’s degree required; graduate degree preferred
- Long-term and short-term strategic planning experience
- Financial growth and management experience for small or medium-sized organization
- Successful track record of writing and obtaining grants
- Public relations experience a plus
- Staff recruitment and development experience preferred
- Experience working with a Board of Directors
- Experience in the visual arts and/or art therapy a plus
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Suite
- CRM/donor database experience preferred
Salary ranges from $65,000-$75,000 and is commensurate with experience. Benefits include four (4) weeks of paid time off, paid sick leave, and free summer and school break camps for dependent children.
CREATE Arts Center is committed to the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion, and encourages all qualified persons to apply. CREATE is committed to ensuring an organizational culture of respect and tolerance that supports a work-life balance for all its employees. This is a full-time position with occasional evening and weekend hours.
Interested candidates should email their resume and a one-page cover letter addressing the requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed and top-ranked candidates will be interviewed on a rolling basis.
Candidates must be fully COVID vaccinated and must be able to pass a background check. For more information about CREATE visit createartscenter.org.