CREATE Arts Center invites dynamic, experienced, and creative Teaching Artists to apply to lead camps, classes, and workshops as part of our Art Education and After School Enrichment Programs.
CREATE Arts Center is a community-focused nonprofit visual arts organization that has been serving Montgomery County and the greater Washington DC area for 30 years. Our educational programs are designed to foster creativity and enjoyment in the arts while promoting personal growth, and development of essential communication and critical thinking skills. We support underserved populations by offering afterschool enrichment programs for at-risk students who are struggling in school due to a variety of challenges.
CREATE is seeking Teaching Artists to lead:
- Classes/Camps/Workshops: CREATE’s educational programs include on-site and off-site art classes throughout the year for children ages 2-16. We also offer art camps during spring, winter, and summer breaks and No School Day art camps on the more than 20 days throughout the academic year when schools are closed, including federal holidays and teacher conference days. Some classes also offer parents the chance to make art alongside their children. Additionally, CREATE offers art workshops geared towards adults that generally run from one to four weeks, and cover a variety of topics and medium.
- After-School Programs: CREATE offers off-site, after-school art enrichment classes at a number of Montgomery County schools. Many of the schools we partner with for our after-school enrichment programs, have a student body with high rates of English as a Second Language (ESOL) and with students receiving Free and Reduced Meals (FARMS). The classes we offer fill a gap in services resulting from cuts to arts education and are vital to student growth and achievement.
- smARTkids™: CREATE’s community program, is a free after-school program for at-risk students who are struggling in school due to a variety of challenges. Working with school counselors to identify select students who are in need of additional academic and social support, the structured art-based curriculum uses the creative process to promote social and behavioral growth as well as development essential academic readiness skills. We support the students’ success by building self-confidence, improved language and literacy skills, cultivation of organizational skills, and development of peer to peer relationships, while building on their imagination. smARTkids™ began in one school with just eight students in 2005 and has since served over 500 students in seven Montgomery County Public Schools.
CREATE teachers should have a deep appreciation for the arts, with at least three years of educational training/professional experience along with significant experience teaching visual arts to children. CREATE will request references and conduct a background check (one time). CREATE’s classes are conducted on-site and at local elementary schools. CREATE teachers are responsible for:
- Preparing and executing age-appropriate, engaging project-based arts curriculum while reaching students across diverse developmental levels
- Collaborating effectively and communicating regularly with CREATE staff
- Submitting complete lesson plans, timesheets, reports, and other administrative documentation
- Providing positive feedback on students’ progress and promoting creativity and imagination in a supportive environment where the experience is as important as the finished product
Teachers are hired as contract employees. CREATE’s pay scale for its teachers is based on experience and expertise. Our teachers, on average, earn around $25/hour. Teachers working off-site are paid an additional half hour per session for travel time and CREATE covers the cost of supplies.
HOW TO APPLY
CREATE accepts and reviews resumes on a rolling basis. If you are interested in becoming a CREATE teacher please send your resume and cover letter to the attention of Sulay Khin, Managing Director, Arts Programming, at email@example.com. If you have specific questions, please contact Sulay via email or at 301-588-2787.
CREATE Arts Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and strives to build a staff and board that reflect the cultural diversity of Montgomery County and the communities we serve.