CREATE Arts Center, a nonprofit organization in downtown Silver Spring, is looking for energetic self-starters with an interest in art, art therapy, and/or art education to join our Board of Directors.
Since 1986 CREATE has been inspiring art through classes, camps, and art therapy. We are a small organization committed to our mission to spark creativity, foster learning, empower individuals, and facilitate community connections through the visual arts. Learn more about CREATE in our 2019 Impact Report available HERE.
The CREATE Board of Directors provides the leadership, vision, and strategic planning for the organization. Directors participate in organizational governance and oversight, and explore ways to open doors for expanded fundraising opportunities, recruitment of board members, and new marketing and public relations opportunities.
CREATE Arts Center has a hands-on board that provides leadership, vision, and strategic planning for the organization. Each board member:
- Participates in organizational governance and fiduciary oversight;
- Serves as an active member of at least one committee;
- Explores ways to open doors for expanded funding opportunities, recruitment of new board members, and new marketing and public relations opportunities;
- Supports the fundraising efforts of the organization annually through personal or corporate financial contributions, or direct involvement in seeking donor or grant support resulting in an annual financial commitment of $1,000;
- Visits a CREATE program or event to become familiar with the services delivered and the population served; and
- Makes every effort to attend all board and committee meetings (either in person or by conference call).
CREATE’s committees support our operations by helping the board and staff with specific projects or issues. We currently have three committees with the following goals:
- Fundraising – Develop and implement fundraising strategy.
- Finance – Oversee financial operations, including review of the annual budget, quarterly financial reports to the Board, the audit and the 990 tax return.
- Governance – Lead efforts to expand and enhance the Board, perform performance evaluation for Executive Director, and assist Executive Director with establishing clear policies and procedures for CREATE staff.
Board and committee members should be energetic, self-starters who have an interest in art, art therapy and/or arts education, and are comfortable being hands-on in a grassroots environment. We are particularly seeking individuals with the following skills and interests:
- Development and fundraising
- Legal, especially with nonprofits and human resources
- Local business and community leaders
- Corporate/nonprofit management
- Human resources
- Accounting and finance
Interested candidates should contact Linda Marson, CREATE Executive Director, at email@example.com.