Art For Autism
Art therapy tailored to the needs of Autistic children and adolescents.
Art for Autism provides art therapy to address the specific needs of young people with Autism or Autistic features. Therapeutic art activities, using a variety of materials, are designed to encourage relationship-building within the group. Therapists incorporate repetitive activities, providing members the consistency and comfort of using the same materials over several sessions. Gradually, therapists introduce slight variations and eventually, together, the group chooses other projects.
Art for Autism offers short and long term programs in individual or group sessions. The typical goals for a group are to:
• Increase interaction with therapists and others
• Increase range of interests and activities
• Build concept of self
• Build independence
• Build confidence
• Create sense of responsibility
• Improve memory by encouraging carry-over from home and school to the session, and carry over from session to session
• Change comes slowly, so patience and support from the adult caretaker is crucial. Regularly scheduled conferences with the therapist are offered.
How do I join?
For more information about starting an Art for Autism group, please contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 301-588-2787.